Opinionated Solutions to Life's Problems

Lots of opinions, Lots of options, Lots of hidden answers to Life's convulated questions.

Name:
Location: California, United States

LIKES: India, Music, Math, Dance, Advertising, Statistics, Optimism, Dreams, Strong opinions, Rains, Bike rides, Caribbean Sea, Jamaica, Waterfalls, Swimming, Stray dogs, Full moon, Tagore, F.R.I.E.N.D.S., Junglee sandwich, Phone talks, Jasmine flowers, Short work meetings, Fridays & Saturdays, Chocolate ice-cream at mid-night. HATES: Sweet tongued liars & Bitter tongued liars

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cube Chronicles

If you are like the thousands like me who spend their day in a 9X9 ft cube in a typical tech company, you know what it is to have noisy neighbours- cubemates as some of my friends call them.

Not very long ago, I had this ideal cube on the 2nd floor. It was at the end of a row of cubes and had this nice view of the trees and balcony complete with bistro sets. What really added to the 'ideal' factor was the fact that I was surrounded by quiet, considerate, and workaholic cubemates.

Then a few days back, at 4'o clock one afternoon I saw a few people casually strolling the aisle next to where I sit. They were checking out the empty cubes and joking about putting a table tennis table right in the middle of both aisles.

I forgot about this day until a few days back when I saw all the cubes getting inhabitated by these really loud people who were never on conference calls but always talking to each other the whole freaking day. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt- maybe they were just settling in- initial jitters you know.

Now, they are all settled and very much feel at home here- proved by their constant chatter. But, I am only irritated by this one character G who looks really breezy with his hawaiian shirt and flip flops dress code but when he talks...time stops for me. His really shrill, full throated voice cuts through every tissue of my brain producing instant headaches. His telephone conversations seem to go on forever.

Oh wait, I hear a real time conversation...

G: Hey buddies!
X, Y and Z in unison: Hey!
G: Do you know if a particular allergy medicine can make you groggy?
Y: I think I have heard this one does
G: Damn, Damn, Damn! (In a record breaking shrill + loud voice)
Z: What what?
G: I took that one this morning and now I am falling asleep walking
Z: I think you should rest
ME: :-)
G: No, I think I need to stay around for a while to finish that xls
ME: :-(
Y: We can finish it tomorrow also
ME: :-)
G: Oh the freaking headache!! (Shrill raise to square) But no I HAVE to finish this today!!
ME: :-(
X,Y,Z (in unison): Please go, NOW, you look terrible!
G: OK
ME: :-) :-) :-)

At the risk of deserting this post half way, I am going to finish that incomplete email that I needed to send to my manager half an hour back. The job is more important than my blog ;) AND I need to finish a LOT before G comes back tomorrow!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey at times like this don't you miss times really quiet atmosphere LOL!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in case you missed that I meant TOI :)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Wriju said...

I think I am a bit noisy.
*impish smile*

12:51 PM  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Ha ha ha ... that was funny! Maybe you could give him some sedatives in his morning coffee next morning while you 'sweetly' walk up to him?

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For how long this guy will stay near your cubicle? :-)Try to shift him, near his boss' :-)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Sudeep said...

my cubicle overlooks a very green cover of tress on left n i luv looking at tht... no wonder i fall asleep quite often here :D

noisy ppl annoy me too..

but when he talks...time stops for me
i thought there was 'something' here till i read the next line.. lol

just keep on hoping tht they dont really set a TT table near u n G turns out to be a TT champ :D

1:59 AM  
Blogger Sudeep said...

ohh n thnx for dropping by my blog.. c ya arnd :)

1:59 AM  
Blogger Ajj Kaim Singh said...

nice post.whatz the status quo?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Ujwal said...

is this the start of new kunal kohli/karan johar movie.....:D
just kidding.....

8:42 AM  
Blogger Sudeep said...

ha ha.. u better not or it might become true :P

7:54 AM  
Blogger Ajj Kaim Singh said...

next post please

10:23 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

You're lucky. We only have 8x8 cubes, with one side wide open. Fortunately, we have a fairly quiet group.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

alan---> lucky u :)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Twisted DNA said...

He he he. Corner cube is like prime real-estate. The worst cube i ever had was in a hallway close to the coffee machine. Every dork who gets a coffee needs a bakra to chat with while he finishes his coffee.

I hope G is letting you work these days.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

twisted dna---> You are so right about the coffee machine corner cube :) BTW, G wished me a happy diwali a few days back and we actually 'talked' for the first time after he invaded my next aisle, I think m gonna write a post on that meeting ;)

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home