Opinionated Solutions to Life's Problems

Lots of opinions, Lots of options, Lots of hidden answers to Life's convulated questions.

Name:
Location: California, United States

LIKES: India, Music, Math, Dance, Advertising, Statistics, Optimism, Dreams, Strong opinions, Rains, Bike rides, Caribbean Sea, Jamaica, Waterfalls, Swimming, Stray dogs, Full moon, Tagore, F.R.I.E.N.D.S., Junglee sandwich, Phone talks, Jasmine flowers, Short work meetings, Fridays & Saturdays, Chocolate ice-cream at mid-night. HATES: Sweet tongued liars & Bitter tongued liars

Monday, December 11, 2006

Eight Wonders

Such a magnanimous title I've given to this post. This is what is called the height of raising expectations and then making someone fall down with a loud crash. Maaf karo yaar, I couldn't think of a better title.

Sudipta tagged me to write eight things about myself. Now, this one sounds difficult just like those open book exams in graduate school, which were the most difficult of all. This one is very open ended, a seemingly innocent sounding tag.

But my grey cells are tired abhi se thinking of eight random things about me. No, I’ve not rented out my brain to someone else today. Blame it on the Monday. So, I am going to do a little cheating, thodaaa saaa. I am going to look above in my profile and borrow a few things from there and write about them. Good idea? Thik hai, here I go:

1. When I was in school, my favorite subject was Math and I sucked at it big time. Now, this sounds unbelievable since we are taught earlier on in life that when we do something that we really love, and try hard enough, we succeed. Obviously, there are exceptions to this hypothesis. I loved math with all my heart- it awed me, made me laugh with its logic, and then loud dhumppp (that's me falling on the floor looking at my mid-term grades) and crash + thunder (that's my parents reaction). As you guessed it already, it was a one sided love affair. Like a rejected lover, I tried and tried to win the love of my beloved, and then finally after years of this depressing chase, I was rewarded when my love showered me with results- Ahh, it felt like heaven to see that 9 come a spot ahead (as in 94) instead of the spot after (as in 49).

2. I love jasmine flowers. The smell is intoxicating and I think it is what heaven must smell like (Not that I am in any hurry to experience that, yeh to mera imagination hai yaar). We have a jasmine plant in our garden back home and it is some special variety that blooms right after the first rains of the season. Divine :)

3. I admire die-hard optimistic people. Realists are boring and Pessimists are cynical. But optimists? They make the world an interesting place to live in with their positive energy and their never-say-die attitude. Personally, I swing between being an optimist and a realist. I can rarely come out tops after being really down in the dumps. Sometimes my attitude doesn't give me the push I need. I'm working on being the die-hard optimist that I so admire in a few people around me. Yeh bhi hoga :)

4. There is something about eating chocolate ice cream at midnight. It turns into something tastier, and more irresistible. I've experienced this so many times, I am almost certain there is a chemical reaction that takes place in chocolate icecream every night at 12, something like cinderella's slippers or some such cutsie thingy ;) Try it.

5. Swimming makes me go wild. I don't need no hard drinks to do that to me. Just give me H20, lots of it, and all around me and I cannot resist the urge to just jump in and swim till I am so hungry I can eat a tub of chocolate ice-cream. I like everything with pristine clear water associated with it- waterfalls, cute little water fountains, rains, the gorgeous caribbean.


6. Ever heard that the full moon can make you a lunatic? I've got proof. Yes it does. I go crazy whenever I see the full moon. Naah, daarna manaa hai yaar, I don't metamorphosize into some wild wolf or anything (though that would be damn cool). I just feel a certain kind of high when I look at the full moon for a long long time. I feel a definite pull and feel lighter for some reason. It's like there is a supernatural force acting on me. Muaaahhhahahaha darr gaye na? Just kidding, its just that I love to lie around under a full moon, its just very romantic. Simple :)

7. Dancing is a way of expression for me. Probably the best way that I express myself. I am no Madhuri with her perfect moves or one of those divas of miss universe; but I just enjoy myself so much when I dance that it makes everyone around me kinda go nuts too. I just let go and let the music guide me. No thinking. No complications. Nothing technical. Just pure bliss :)

8. I get really hungry at 12.29 PM every day. Like precisely at the same time. It’s like magic. I get drawn out of my chair and inside the café in seconds. And the first bite goes inside the mouth at 12.29.00 , Not a second late, not a second early.

The last one, I just pulled it right out of my hat, was just kidding, couldn't think of anything else!

Such a freaky dame this one is. She sounds like whacky and stupid all rolled into one, Do I hear this playing in your minds huh?! Now, there goes my uncontrollable fit of laughter again :)

I tag: alan, rai, the lonely traveller, bhuvanesh, di, and inder.

Music: Naina Milaike from Saathiya
Mood: Happy

PS: I am in the process of adding bloggers to my blogroll. I started with much gusto today morning but my manager spoiled it all by giving me loads of work. That's called the 'New Worker Risk', everyone seems to take advantage of your majburi just because you are a new bakra at the company. So if some of you don't see your names on the roll, don't feel offended and run after me like Darr ka SRK. I am going to have all you lovely people up very soon :)

PPS: Made good use of a part of my Saturday afternoon. Blogroll complete. Yay!

26 Comments:

Blogger Ajj Kaim Singh said...

[Applause]
The quality of expressing the thought has gone a notch up.
[Applause]

1:03 PM  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Oh I completely identify with the first one!! All the subjects that I have liked, I sort of never manage to get good marks on 'em.

Good post... :)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Strider said...

Maths was my fav too! :)

#8 got me!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Artnavy said...

really fun person you seem to be

12:25 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

does heaven smell like jasmine!!??
god! please open a drugstore there. i would need a lot of headache medicine there :P :P :P

7:46 AM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

psv---> you sound like my 7th grade english teacher mrs. koppikar. he he, thanks for the comment! :)

sudipta---> really?? i've never come across someone who relates to that one, same pinch :p

strider---> yep, math is lovable :)

artnavy---> dunno, better ask my friends who tolerate me ;)

inder---> specimen you are, can't imagine a person who doesn't like the smell of jasmine flowers. how about a balm that smells of jasmine to cure your headache :p killer idea na? ;)

9:35 AM  
Blogger bhuvan said...

wow.. i never thought i wud be up with a post for an hour and still want to type more.. admiration for u explodes..lol... i did ur tag but tagged only 4 ppl..

btw, ur 7th and 8th things on tat list was somethin close to me.. ofcourse, dancing meant as a group and that too without any rules. a kick here and a wild swish there and jumps in between more than kept us guys alive thru 4 yrs of a heaven called engg..

and everyone of us hav our own weird habits, even if urs was freaky.. oops, i seem to hav started to post here as well..lol..

11:19 AM  
Blogger Rosh said...

:P

Good to know *stuff* about you!

You know, your thoughts seem like Amelie's narrative... smooth and beautiuful but targeted to steal the readers heart. Good post!
And the 8th was like "WTF!! Aisa thode hota hai? 12:29 ... aisa bhi koi timing hota hai roz khane ka"
And then reality sinks in. LL was bluffin ;P

P.S> Will try to complete ur tag soon.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a damn sweet tag indeed.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Di said...

I took up ur tag dear.. :)
7)-- is really something i get...coz i too adore dancing...mostly by myself...Its just so wonderful.
And about 8)--my tunny too starts growling at 12 30 and them screams like crazy by 1:00 !!Glad to find someone who understands :))

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely identify with #2 and #6 and if the two are together .. world beware :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

bhuvanesh---> thanks for the admiration explosion :D hope you enjoyed doing the tag

lonely traveler---> he he, gotcha with the last one! :) yep, look forward to reading your tag, hope you enjoy doing it.

priya---> thanks :)

anon1, anon2, anon3---> you earned $900 having fun? kisko topi pehna rahe ho yaar? ;) (translation: who are you trying to fool).

di---> arre, great! i am sure when we meet, if not anything we will have lunch on time ;)

sakshi---> aha yes :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

Hi, I'm slow getting around to this tag, but I haven't forgotten. Still have one tag before this to complete.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Twisted DNA said...

Please add this:
9. I make up weird things about me :P

4:40 AM  
Blogger bhuvan said...

oh yeah, of course.. i very much enjoyed doin tat tag.. i felt i cud keep on typing.. then felt sry for all u guys.. btw, no opinions abt my post from opinionated lifelover ??

8:57 AM  
Blogger Rai said...

A Terrific post!

I just couldn't stop laughing aloud when I was reading it:-)

And you know what, I am just as crazy about jasmine flowers as you're. And I would be simply flattered if anybody would propose me with a basket full of jasmine flowers....Lekin ladke itne samjhdaar to nahin hote lol:-)

And I love cherishing ice creams in the winter. Though I have to admit your idea of having an ice cream at the midnight ...sounds good. So will try it.

And if I don't see my name in the blogroll soon, I am going to chase you Aashutosh Raana in Sangharsh:-)

Heeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Will be completing your tag soon.

9:44 PM  
Blogger bhuvan said...

hey.. i m in the dark abt tat jack nicholson thingie.. is it somethin i wud rather not listen to? btw, u make me ask this question, especially after i listed u in my blog.. now, where am i in ur blogroll??

8:40 AM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

alan---> sure, take your time, look forward to a bollywood styled post from you :)

twisted dna---> # 8 made you say that haina? he he, i don't blame you, that one WAS weird :) btw, hope you had a great wedding with sherwanis et all.

bhuvanesh---> just left an opinion oops comment on your tag. glad you enjoyed writing it.

rai---> thanks!! btw, mere dil ki baat cheen li, i meant about your comment of proposing with jasmine flowers, that would be so awesome :)

shakhi---> welcome here, glad it made you laugh :) actually at the end even i was laughing to myself while finishing the tag!

bhuvanesh---> have you watched the movie 'as good as it gets'? in that jack nicholson plays the lead man who is an obsessive compulsive person who HAS to do certain things in a predetermined way. as an example, he always skipped on a few tiles in his bathroom and avoided walking on them, always switched on the tv in a certain way and carried his own set of plastic silverware at restaurants. some of the things in your tag (missing the tile, setting the volume at an even number) reminded me of jack nicholson in this particular movie :) its a very nice and funny movie, watch it if you haven't already done so.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Persona non gratis said...

I love maths too, loved I should say, because now I find it difficult to do the complicated maths I did one so easily, I miss being competitive, the way I was in 10th and 12th and had so many facts and complicated formulae at my finger tips. Life was all about acing exams then.

3:01 PM  
Blogger By Deepa and Supriya said...

Ha! Ha! for that part about anting to turn into a werewolf on a moonlit night...hadn't heard that one before :)

5:36 PM  
Blogger bhuvan said...

oh.. i havent watched 'as good as it gets'.. now tat u say so, i must chk it out wen i can.. btw, honestly the dancing part could apply to me in every sense.. only thing is i didnt want to seem to flick it frm u and also i need a crowd(3 is a crowd!) to start a gig..
and ofcourse, i noticed my name there.. tats nice...

8:10 AM  
Blogger sinusoidally said...

What a list!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Itchingtowrite said...

good one. i identify with no 1

11:36 PM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

shreemoyee---> yep you said it. sometimes i wonder how we did without calculators and spell checks in state exams!! everything said and done, i am so glad i studied well, wonder what i would do without my degrees ;)

orchid---> i can be very creative when it comes to spooky things :)

bhuvanesh---> dancing is amazing, rock on!

sinusoidally---> :) welcome here, i just glanced at your blog- very interesting, am going to visit regularly now

itchingtowrite---> :)

8:57 AM  
Blogger Daddy's Girl said...

Wow... love this post - so much fun to read. I am the same about driving as you used you be about maths - love it, but am rubbish at it... your story inspires me - maybe one day I'll get good!
I also love to dance - alone, though!
Love your blog and love the hindi phrases - I am a Bollywood fan who relies solely on her english subtitles, so it's a treat to read little conversational hindi phrases and to realise that I actually understand some of them.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Priyankari said...

Nice post! Really njoyed!

Flowers, swimming and dancing...3 of my favourites too:)

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home